Wednesday, 11 June 2008

‘Boleh Kerja Sambilan - Noraini Ahmad’ against ‘Pengkhususan’.

"The clock is ticking."

When will Malaysia have its very own à la English Reform group? It is obvious; the great need there is, to restructure our civil services and thus, give fresh, new meanings to them. Too much of our GDP is being spent on paying civil servants. It should be about quality and not quantity. This itsy-bitsy cancer pushed the government to forgo numerous needs of the majority and continues to do so with the help of ‘warm and humid’ decisions made by the government and just recently; the encouragement of civil servants to participate in 2nd works.

The Reform group is a London, United Kingdom based free-market think tank whose mission is to set out a better way to deliver public services and economic prosperity via private sector involvement and market de-regulation. This independent and non-partisan group believes that, by reforming the public sector and extending choice, high quality services can be made available for everyone. This group is famous for its statistics-populated reports.

How do we, Malaysians, envision the healthcare, education, transport system, streets and economy of future Malaysia? Is it high-standard, modern, efficient, safe, free, dynamic and competitive or vice versa? The actions that the government is favoring right now are directing us towards the worst. Is it or is it not a fallacy to perceive that more teachers will result in an elevation of education quality? Figures don’t lie but sometimes they are deceitful.

Take the State of Kedah for example. The education standard there is decaying and being reduced to not just intellectual but also moral abyss, not due to scarcity in amount of whole-hearted teachers but due to mismanagements; almost nepotistic, corruptions and of course; indolent and passive teachers, and the only mechanism which the government came up with to combat this malignant, there-to-stay plague is the various PTK tests which are not only unreliable but also discouraging in the sense that it oust experienced teachers who lack English conversational skills (additional values).

Why can’t we be like Ireland or our close neighbor; Australia. That vast a country/continent managed to allocate only about 35% of their GDP to sustain their world-renown civil services. Think about what good the other 65% of our GDP would do us, a GDP backboned by oil industry.

Stop encouraging civil servants to undertake 2nd, ‘side’ jobs, reduce the amount of civil servants gradually, lower taxes, invest the other 65% (or close to that) of our GDP in our very own RND and plant-projects of renewable energies and seize from insensibly ignoring the fact that we are running out of crude oil. After all, having civil servants selling ‘Kuih Raya’ and ‘Kain’ will never benefit the lot, some figures in CUEPACS, maybe. The Government cannot control the ‘drive’ in free trades.

Just my two cents.

No comments: